Bowing to you with a smile as summer has emerged and the monastery is just beautiful this time of the year. I hope you can find some time to stop and sit by the pond, find silence between your breaths and space in your schedule to practice together this Friday. As most of you know the schedule has changed and we are now starting at 8:30 a.m. and concluding at 3:30 p.m.
Bows and a smile,
Trappist Abbey Friday, July 15th
You are invited you to attend a Silent Day of Mindfulness in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh "Healing Ourselves, Healing the World"
Thich Nhat Hanh (Thay) says a day of mindfulness can be the lever that will lift us to the habit of practicing mindfulness every hour and every moment. Everyone has the right to such a day, for without it "we will lose ourselves quickly in a life full of worry and action, and our responses will become increasingly useless." Please consider joining us for a day of silent mindfulness practice where we can experience the spaciousness of silence, and water the positive seeds of compassion, joy, love, and faith within us.
As we practice stopping, calming and looking deeply within the atmosphere of peaceful silence at the Trappist Abbey in Lafayette, Oregon, we nourish our mindfulness and cultivate the capacity to heal the wounds within ourselves, our families, our communities, and the world. Both new and experienced practitioners are welcome!
We reserve one Friday each month (usually the third Friday) to practice at the Abbey. Our next Silent Day of Mindfulness will be on the fourth Friday, June 24th. If you are interested in coming please contact me, Denise Ségor, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 503-939-6346, and leave a message with contact information. NOTE: Denise is on retreat in July…no need to call this month just show up.
If you are coming from Salem, we meet at Roth’s West Salem at 7:30 a.m. for car pooling. If you need a ride please let Jerry know at 503-391-1284 or email: email@example.com.
Information and Schedule for the Silent Day of Mindfulness: Together we will enjoy the silence and meditation experienced by the Trappist Monks.
· Please arrive between 8:00-8:30 a.m. and meet by 8:30 in the Founder's Room, in the lower level of the main office.
· Bring something for lunch (also your own dishes and utensils if necessary), a note book for communicating and journaling (chairs, zafus, zabutons, and benches are available for use).
· Also, be prepared for outdoor walking in any kind of weather :) There are beautiful trails and a pond.
· The suggested donation/ dana for the day is $25.00 (as a group, not individually) and so please prepare accordingly.
Our practice is flexible, but generally follows this schedule:
· 8:30 – 8:45 am Overview of the Day FR*
· 8:45 – 10:15 am Indoor Meditation BH*
· 10:20 – 11:15 am
· Outdoor Walking Meditation Meet outside BH
· 11:20 – 12:00 pm Silent Lunch FR
· 12:00 – 2:15 pm Individual Time
· 2:15 – 3:15 pm Indoor Meditation BH
· 3:15 – 3:30 pm Talking Closure and Clean up
· FR *FR = Founder's Room (in the lower level of the Reception Lodge – in the bookstore, follow the stairs downward)
· *BH = Bethany House.
If you are interested in extending your day of mindfulness, you are welcome to attend any daily services practiced by the monks at the Abbey, including: © 6:00 – 6:30 a.m. - Silent sitting meditation in the Bethany House © 6:30 – 7:30 a.m. - Lauds (chanting worship) and Community Mass © 12:30 – 1:00 p.m. - Day Hour Angelus (chanting worship in the chapel) © 5:30 – 6:00 p.m. - Vespers (chanting worship in the chapel) © 6:00 – 6:30 p.m. – Silent sitting meditation in the Bethany House
Dates for Summer 2011:
Friday, July 15
Friday, August 19