Thank you for your support of World Car Free Day and your willingness to help make it happen. September 22nd is just 3 weeks from today! We’re excited about the plans for the day, which include activities that were suggested by many of you earlier this summer. During the next 3 weeks, we’ll be increasing our promotion of World Car Free Day and fine-tuning plans for the day. Your help is needed! Please review the following list of volunteer opportunities and decide how you’d like to help:
Put up posters and/or hand out mini-flyers – We have 150 full-color posters to be hung and 1,000 mini-flyers to be distributed. (Thanks to Jessica Brothers for her eye-catching poster design!) Spanish versions of both the poster and flyer are also available.
· Pick up posters and flyers TODAY (Wednesday, 4:00 to 5:00 pm) or tomorrow (Thursday, 12:30 to 1:30 pm) from the Earth Smart Store, located at 160 NW Jackson Avenue between 1st and 2nd Streets. I’ll have a list of sites, and you can choose how many you’d like to target. If you’re willing to help but can’t come during either of these times, please let me know and we’ll arrange a different time. We need help getting the posters up in the next few days! Also, we hope all of you are passing out the mini-flyers wherever you go.
· Display a laminated World Car Free Day poster (8½ X 11) on your bike during the next 3 week. “Moving signs” are a very effective promotional tool! Just let me know if you’d like one or more signs.
Educate, inspire, and support others
· Write a brief letter to the editor to let the Corvallis community know why YOU choose car free transportation, and share facts that will help others understand the benefits of getting around car free. “Letters to the Editor” are possibly the most often read part of the paper, so let’s use this resource! One of our volunteers, Robin Proebsting, has put together two excellent World Car Free Day documents: a “Fact Sheet” and “Frequently Asked Questions” that will provide you with some amazing facts and helpful ideas to get you started. Let me know if you’d like copies.
· Become a “Bike Buddy” or “Bus Buddy” to offer assistance to people who are new to bicycling or who are riding the bus for the first time.
Help out on September 22nd
· Volunteer to staff one of our 10 check-in sites from 7:00 to 9:00 am, or provide assistance at the Car Free Day Festival at the Wednesday Farmers’ Market (2nd & B) from 3:00 to 7:00 pm.
· Participate in the “Bike Fashion Show” that will be held at the festival. We are looking for about 10-12 people who have apparel (rain gear, helmets, etc.) or bike equipment (baskets, trailers, etc.) that they’d like to show others. The purpose is to let festival participants see how fun and easy it is to get around on a bike. Our festival emcee, Cassandra Robertson, will provide narration – or you can do some “show and tell” yourself!
PLEASE REPLY as soon as possible – and no later than Wednesday, Sept. 8 – to let us know how you’d like to help. Thank you!
Annette Mills, Facilitator
Corvallis Sustainability Coalition
World Car Free Day is Wednesday, September 22!
Take the Car Free Day Pledge at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Car_Free_Day_Pledge